Thursday 24 January 2013

A review of KEEPSAKE by Tess Gerritsen


What a great book to start 2013 with. The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen is just a ripper of a great book. I’m a slow reader and I finished it in a week. That’s a good thing. I had to keep reading, I had to keep turning pages.
The Keepsake is the 7th book in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli & Isles series, her 21st novel all together, and I feel it is an amazing addition to the collection. When the curator of the Crispin Museum and an archeologist bring the found treasure of a mummy named Madame X to get a CT scan, Dr. Maura Isles discovers this may not be a 2000 year old mummy at all. Detective Jane Rizzoli is immediately called in to try and help figure out what is going on. More mysteries build up instead of clues that can solve what has happened and to find who may be out there. The clues start to come in and as the reader you have to turn the page to get to what else is going on. I had to flip through. I had to find out who the killer was and how many more victims would fall.
I became a fan of Tess Gerritsen because of the TNT TV show Rizzoli & Isles. My wife had been a fan long before, but I did not read any of her novels until after seeing the show. The only trouble that there is, is remembering that the Rizzoli and Isles from the novels are not the same characters from the television show. There are a lot of similarities, but their descriptions are different and except for the novel The Apprentice where the two characters first work together in the novels the show goes off in a completely different direction.
I’ll be honest, I skipped The Surgeon – the first novel in the series for no other reason than I did not have that one in our collection. The books seem to get better as they go along.
As I said in other reviews, the ending is one of the important things to me when I read a book. First I want a good start that pulls you right in and then I want a finish that leaves the reader satisfied. The Keepsake did this for me. There were enough clues that the reader had a chance of figuring out what was going on just as Detective Rizzoli was figuring it all out. I love that.

My rating is 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment